Monday, December 17, 2007

Views from SFAI

I thought I'd share some images from the campus of SFAI.. I appreciate its departure from the grid-within-a-grid mentality and enjoy the views when I emerge from my A/V cave!

I believe the original building was completed in the 1920s, and the newer part is from the late '60s.  You enter through the courtyard and continue out to the main plaza, which is a big open-air space with a cafĂ©, gallery and computing lab.  You can also go upstairs to see the amphitheater, the old tower, and just have some alone time.  The views are amazing, you can see the entire East Bay area, Alcatraz, Angel Island, Coit Tower (and Telegraph Hill area) when it's not foggy!

(The Cave)

Entrance:

Courtyard:

New & Old:

Looking Southeast toward Coit Tower:

Main Plaza with skylights for lower floors:

Bike Rack!

There's also a Diego River Mural.. so cool!

4 comments:

Sitka said...

are you posting photographs on flickr by any chance???

/s

ChesterCycles said...

Hey Sash!
I just noticed that one of your photos seemed familiar to me, and now I know why. I may be wrong, but the photo labeled "New and Old" contains a tower that looks strikingly similar to the tower used in the movie "Vertigo" with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. I know the story took place in SF, so maybe that's the one?
Never mind YOUR work, I want you to get on THIS job immediately and find out if my hunch is correct. ;-)
Oh, and have a wonderful Holiday!

Carolina Urra B. said...

Hello Squashimi,
I want to make a question about What do you know respect Chris Marker's works?, because I saw in your profile that you like 'Sans Soleil' documentary. And some time ago I am looking for information about to Marker and I would appreciate if you can help me, please.

Have a Happy New Year!

squashimi said...

I'm not posting photos on flickr.. have thought about it, but not organized enough.

The tower at SFAI is modeled after the bell towers of missions around California.. I think Vertigo was filmed at Mission San Juan Bautista. Good association though, I'm not sure if I would've caught that.

Carolina, I don't know too much about Chris Marker. I've seen Sans Soleil and appreciated its deviation from the mainstream documentary style. Good luck on your research!