Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Scenes from Home

Happy spinach on the fire escape!

Happy lettuces in the garden!
As much of the eucalyptus tree in our yard that fits in the camera frame...

Cute little blooming weeds and potted arugula gone mad in the yard

Flowering vine on the way up the stairs

Giant plants in the "front yard"


This is a striking building on the corner of my block.. An elderly woman named Emily lives here. Apparently she grew up in the house and her family has been there since her grandparents. Emily is always out and about, and she keeps track of what goes on in the neighborhood.. I've heard that she packs heat! I probably would, too, if I lived in a building that looks abandoned in a part of town where people are likely to break in.


2 comments:

Erin said...

Oooh! If I don't get a job I am going to come and help her paint or do anything she needs help with on her home! Unless of course she likes it just the way it is.

squashimi said...

I kind of get the impression that Emily is not going to do anything to her house... she's pretty old and I've heard that a bunch of people have tried to buy it from her but she just won't sell -- and they're basically waiting for her to pass. Isn't that terrible?
I didn't even think anyone lived there, but after a couple of months I saw a light on from the back one night. It's crazy to think that she actually lives there by herself. I wonder what it looks like inside...