Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Yay for Good Art History Lectures!

The cool part about my job is that I get to basically sit in on classes because I run the Lecture Hall, where a lot of Art History courses are taught.  I'm already supposed to know most of the material, but who remembers all the thousands of slides shown in first-year AH surveys?  Well, not I!  Actually, I was sleeping during most of those lectures.. At SFAI, the art history professors are mostly pretty engaging and humanistic, and I find their lectures really interesting.

Today, I've seen several awesome things:

> Anamorphosis by the Quay Brothers to expand upon the method used by Renaissance painters to embed symbolic images into paintings.  

A famous example, Holbein's The Ambassadors, where a skull is found at the bottom.
A still from the Quay Brothers' animated short film, Anamorphosis:

> Hieronymus Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights...
...turned into a metal music video by Buckethead:

> Some paintings I forgot that I love so much by Pieter Breugel the Elder:
The Hunters in the Snow

The Corn Harvest or The Harvesters?
The Tower of Babel
I love the awkward perspective and flatness in the paintings, and the colors (though we have to take internet reproductions with a grain of salt)!

If anyone is interested or wondering, this material was shown in Claire Daigle's ARTH 101 course at the San Francisco Art Institute, Spring 2008.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I saw the top one by Holbein in London. I think it is the creepiest painting ever. Actually there are a lot of creepy paintings out there...

I like the architecturalization of the tower of babel. They must have thought heaven wasn't very far off...

Erin said...

I missed this before but it also totally looks like the hunters are hunting the ice skaters! (Was there ice skating back then?)

I think there needs to be a new interpretation of art written based on viewing things over the internet.

Such as: VanGouhg's use of pixilization to reference depth and the muted colors as seen on the slightly older screen you got for free from your old room mate....